Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MLS buzz?

+6
ragingplatapus49
Geezaldinho
footyfan
ohhh_yeah
Stonehouse
onetouchfutbol
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

MLS buzz? - Page 2 Empty Re: MLS buzz?

Post by Stonehouse Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:02 pm

Oh I would never, ever support a Seattle team. Mariners, Seahawks, Sonics... oh wait... HA HA! Sounders too.

On the other hand, I do kind of roll my eyes sometimes at the Timbers Army... it just seems a little... not sure what the right word is... contrived. If we actually had an MLS team I'm sure I would feel differently... I do hope that somehow they can swing a deal to get one here, though I really don't know how I feel about a AAA baseball park at Lents Park.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:23 pm

I can't stand the Huskies, T-Birds, or Seahawks. It's the Mariners only for me. They're the closest MLB team, have a beautiful stadium, and I actually like going up to Seattle to visit. Live there? No way.

Don't worry about baseball in Lents--I'll believe it when I see an actual stadium there.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by SciFi Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:41 pm

I'm still on the fence about a baseball park in Lents. On one hand Lents could use a revitalization; yet, on the other hand, could a revitalization really be triggered by building a ballpark?

As far as MLS in Portland, I'm on the fence about that one, too. I'm not particularly fond of the way things are ran in that league and I worry about its future. On the other hand, there are things that I don't particularly like about the USL, either (Bush league reffing is a big one for me.)

I guess for me it really comes down a simple question: Will things really be that much better in the MLS? Personally, I'm not so sure. . . confused Suspect

-SciFi

MLS buzz? - Page 2 Header10
SciFi
SciFi
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2007-04-28

http://pilotfans.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:00 pm

and I'm sure 15,000+ deposits on season tickets constitutes not having fans...

Haha UP and the Blazers are the only "local" love I'll ever show to any team from Oregon...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:07 pm

SciFi--

So, once a UP player like Keller moves outside of the city of Portland, you basically don't support him anymore? ...or you support the player, but, not the Seattle team?
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by footyfan Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:51 am

SciFi wrote:Hmmmmm. . . Portland Pilots. . . Portland Timbers. . . Clive Charles. . . Shouldn't there be some local loyalty here??? Personally, I am a Pilots and Timbers die hard. I can't and won't support a Seattle club, EVER.

-SciFi

I tend to agree..Clive was a quality person as well as on Pele's NASL Hall of Fame team. Biggs was a Timber too.

I had another thought..Thinking about the players of the past few years..I think it was four years ago the men made it to the second round..beating UW then traveling to New Mexico (who went to the final that year) I wonder had everyone returned the next year..and Sander had been healthy and The big center back not been booted (and went to New mexico), Pearce and Salazar stayed for their senior season..How far that team might have gone?? I "think" the only starter that would have graduated was big Paul..

footyfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:16 am

Really good point, FootyFan. That was indeed a good team... if they could have kept Josh Brown (the back who went to UNM), Pearce and Salazar and had a healthy Sanders... damn. They could have been pretty dang good.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by SciFi Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:26 pm

athleticjames wrote:SciFi--

So, once a UP player like Keller moves outside of the city of Portland, you basically don't support him anymore? ...or you support the player, but, not the Seattle team?

Fair question. Though it hurts to see Keller go to the Sounders, I still support him and hope he does well. I just don't support the club he will play for. And by the way, when I said I will not support any Seattle club, I meant that I will not support any Seattle soccer club in any league.

-SciFi

MLS buzz? - Page 2 Header10
SciFi
SciFi
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2007-04-28

http://pilotfans.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:53 pm

I am a newcomer to the men's team but it took me all of about one half to see that Collen Warner is international caliber. Frankie Lopez has plenty of size for the pro leagues in Europe. Leeland Wright and Logan Emory could definately cut it in MLS. Those two might need a couple years to get on a first tier team in Europe. Guerro will be the next great U.S Goalkeeper to play overseas. Another addition to Bill Irwin's lineage of petigree GKs.

I should mention though that I thought they really underachieved against Seattle. Big Un just walked off the field after the game straight to the locker room. No words for anyone he looked pissed. All his players gave him a wide swath I noticed too. These guys could be a lot better if they brought some fire in the belly. They looked a little bored for some reason.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:00 pm

As for Kasey I had heard he was homesick for Portland for a long time now. Seattle is close enough I guess. I wonder if he will keep his castle in Germany for a vacation home?
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:43 pm

My loyalty is to the UP players... Some of us who went to UP came from the North. Even Kasey Keller played his high school ball in the state of Washington. There's nothing wrong with that...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next