Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mic out again....

4 posters

Go down

Mic out again.... Empty Mic out again....

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:40 pm

Didn't we all talk about this a few weeks ago?

Fridays 4:30 game: Great male singer sings the National Anthem and the mic pops in and out again. I wonder what it will take to have this figured out? Do we need to start a donation basket at the games to get a better mic system? It's Sad to see great student singers all rehearsed for a great song and the mic fails. At this juncture in time, a bullhorn would be more reliable.
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Mic out again.... Empty Re: Mic out again....

Post by PilotNut Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:50 pm

Well, microphones are new technology.... Rolling Eyes

But really, go to an old fashioned wired mic. Its an easy fix.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:12 pm

I agree with you about the wired mic. Between the myriad types of broadcasting, uplinks downloads, walkie talkies and miscellaneous electronics operating simultaneously at Merlo its a reciepe for disaster. It seems the mic might be a victim of "capture" where the strongest signal wipes out or interferes with the weaker signal. I don't know the antenna systems in Portland but the proximity on just one microwave communications tower can wreak havoc on more coventional systems.

Having said that the audio feedback on the stretch internet video is bad. Curiously, the free "audio" is clear and high quality. I suspect there may be multiple microphones in in the broadcast booth If Adam and Jason are speaking into two mics at the same time this could be the source of the problem. Too bad our Hero Jimi Hendrix is not around to explain how feed back works.

Addressing the problem of wireless mics. Just ask any rock star what a pain they can be and those guys spend millions on electronics.

In close, the more electoriics in close space the more the likelyhood of feed back, dropped transmissions and delay. I know of an instance where a walkie talkie tuned to the "wrong frequency" came through a fan listening to a radio at the game.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:34 pm

ive noticed as well that the mic goes out frequently during the natoinal athenm. on the other hand, when the mic does go out, the crowd picks up the anthenm an sings it. to me, there isnt anything better than to hear 4,000+ people singing our national anthemn. you so rarely hear that an to me, it's very inspirational.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:18 pm

Hey Auto- You forgot to mention, two tin cans attached by a piece of string. The main tin can, can be extended to the press box. Somebody could then hold the receiver tin can in front of another mic.
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:57 pm

Tin cans, Wally you know what is a hoot I used to do that stunt with a neighboor when I was a kid. I remember it worked but then again my hearing was better then.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum