LSU Goalie vs BYU

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: LSU Goalie vs BYU

Post by Geezaldinho on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:34 pm

mikemac65 wrote:Geezer, could you help me? I can't seem to get your pictures on my computer. Any suggestions?

Hmm... if you can tell me a bit about the machine you have and the browser version, maybe I could help. You need a fast connection to the internet to see the clips in a reasonable time. (Cable or DSL, though stealing somebody's wifi works OK on my iphone)

One thing to check is that you have windows media player, quicktime, or realplayer plugins to the browser, but if you can go to youtube and see videos there, that shouldn't be an issue.

If you can't see videos on youtube, the quickest answer I can think of is to download the Firefox browser. It will come with media plugins installed, and is available for all OS's.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Hope that gets you started.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10315
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:42 pm

Speaking of BYU, and to continue we posters' record-challenging pace, BYU beat Miami FL tonight 1-0. Miami, of the ACC, was 7-0 going into the game. BYU once again demonstrates the superiority of the West.

Miami's RPI going into the game was 0.6319 (reflecting relatively weak opposition). BYU's was 0.5561. So, the RPI, although it's really too early to put too much heat on it, says Miami should have won. Geezer, you're the SoccerRatings guru. If you run this game through his calculator, who does he say should have won?

Never mind, Geez, I just tried out the system myself for the first time. Wow! It's cool. Maybe I should start betting on games. I think I will if I'm betting against the RPI at this point in the season. According to SoccerRatings, BYU had a 50% chance of winning; Miami had a 33.33% chance of winning; and there was a 16.67% chance of a tie.

UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1701
Registration date : 2007-10-31

View user profile http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:29 pm

Yah, you caught me in , Uh, hydrotherapy.

Be a little cautious with AJ right now. the last update he shows was 09/06. The predicor part actully says it was updated last in 12/07, but I don't know if that's right.

It probably doesn\'t matter all that much, since the numbers have a big history component anyway right now.

You can also use the ranking table, College Women
100 pts = .68 chance of winning (st.dev?)
Make sure you figure the standard error for each team in your betting calculations. and don\'t forget the 60 points for home field.

Did you see what the calculator said if they were home/away/neutral games?

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:29 pm; edited 3 times in total

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemac65 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:05 pm

Geezer, thanks for the info. Unfortunately, my work computer is blocked from getting Utube et al. I do appreciate your help. Thanks again.

mikemac65
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 121

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:12 pm

mikemac65 wrote:Geezer, thanks for the info. Unfortunately, my work computer is blocked from getting Utube et al. I do appreciate your help. Thanks again.

yeah, those were just embedded links to youtube, so you are out of luck.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:40 pm

Or you can bypass those pesky work/school filters by going here.

KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:46 pm

I'm shocked... Shocked!!, I say...

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:18 am

VERY entertaining. And wow, the posts are piling up, aren't they? This certainly will be the biggest month for posts in the history of Pilot Nation.

Auto - any idea what happened to that player who got hurt and did some really odd flips? Those flips almost looked involuntary to me. By the end, I was worried because he looked like he might be dead. It was bizarre/disturbing to look at, for me, at least. That is NOT to criticize your posting it! Very appropriate for posting on this thread.

Also, Geez, on your top 20 goalie moments they were all hilarious except the last one, which they called #1. After a review, it was clear the goalie was writhing around with the ball tucked away because he had been kicked in the head. Not funny! Again, totally appropriate for posting. Nineteen of them were very entertaining. The authors, IMO, showed very bad taste on that last one, however.

Overall, though, a great thread and very effective and entertaining week filler!

FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:39 am

FANatic, I had the same reaction as you. At first I thought it looked funny then after looking at it a few times and the referee's reaction I thought it might be real and not a photoshop joke. Notice that he ends up inside the penalty arc so it looks kind of real like he was having a seizure of some sort. To be short it is disturbing and I hope it is a joke.

Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SciFi on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:51 am

FANatic, I have to respectfully disagree on the #1 goalie moment. Looking at the second showing of the incident, it appears that if any contact was made, it was made near the hand. Yet, the keeper reacts as though he was kicked in the head. Seems to me that this is an example of major overreaction to get a call.

As for the player that did the odd flips, it seems involuntary to me as well. I'd be very interested to find out what actually happened. . .

-SciFi

SciFi
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 313

View user profile http://www.pilotnation.net/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:22 pm

Not to worry, FAN. The reason that goalie moment #1 was in fact #1 was becuase he was faking that he got kicked; the replay clearly shows he was not. The goalie was hamming it up, trying to get a penalty or card from the ref.

I would be curious to know if the ref did call anything; it was a pretty bad fake, IMO.

I really dont know about the guy doing back flips. The way the trainers ran onto the field so quickly makes me think they knew something was up--or that the guy suffered from something...

And what was the deal with the goalie doing the kick with the heels behind the head thing?! scratch

PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3914

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SciFi on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:29 pm

PilotNut wrote:And what was the deal with the goalie doing the kick with the heels behind the head thing?! scratch

Just pure reaction and luck.

-SciFi

SciFi
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 313

View user profile http://www.pilotnation.net/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:30 pm

my bet is the team was already up big, or down big... Or the keeper had a bet with someone that he wouldn't do it during the game...

DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:00 pm

The keeper doing the reverse bicycle did it because I think he was able to do it and saw the perfect ball coming to use his talent. It had to be a shot low enough to get his feet on but high enough to go over his head plus it had to be straight on without a lot of pace. He most likely does it in practice.

Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:52 pm

From what I read in the comments section on the back-flips guy (sketchy source, I know) the guy was having some sort of seizure but was fine and played the next day. Again, questionable source, but maybe that makes sense? I don't know. It was super strange in any case.

Stonehouse
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2990
Registration date : 2007-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:56 pm

It's just Rene Higuita being Rene Higuita.

Higuita's 'scorpion kick.'

Goalkeepers are no fun anymore.

KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:00 pm

Yes KFTC if you take a look at the close up of Rene and look into his eyes you understand it all. He lives the La Vida Loca for sure.

Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:11 pm

Haha. Very true Auto Pilot.

As for the soccer player seizure, the player's name is Abdulrahman Al-Shoaibi and he played for Hajer FC and Al-Raed FC in the Saudi Arabian league. This happened a few years ago and has been described as the "Angel of Death" trying to take him and him struggling against it. According to Wikipedia, he survived.

KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:45 pm

I can confirm the origin of the video as being arabic when I tried the site that is superimposed on the bottom of the video. I was somewhat relieved as I wrote it off to some cultural thing that we dont understand in the US. Glad to hear he came out ok.

Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:31 pm

I've seen the clip that AutoPilot posted before. I remember reading that the guy took a kick to the head! So...he was "actually" having seizures! It happens very fast... but you can see #2 guy in red is the one who's high kick gets the dude as he's running past! All the other players close by seemed to know it too... just by the way they stop play!

After the high kick to the head, you can see the ref (in black) walk up to player #2 and was just about to card him...but then decided to attend to the guy who got kicked first!

GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:40 pm

Thanks everyone. I didn't expect this many responses to my post.

After reviewing the goalie getting "kicked in the head", you are all correct, I believe. On the replay it surely didn't look like he was touched. His "over-acting" job is quite ridiculous. I didn't really see it as being funny, so much as silly. Oh well, glad he wasn't really hurt.

As far as the arabic player with the seizure, I can't look at that again. It is extremely disturbing to me and thanks to those of you who said he was okay. Because he actually did look possibly lifeless by the end of the flipping, to me anyway.

Thanks again for the discussion of my post.

FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:39 pm

You'll have to excuse FANatic's initial response to the faux kick to the head.

He hasn't told you, but he went to a World renowned Central American Referee school a couple of years ago.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:41 pm

nice geez...just nice... ...look familiar?

(Well now the secret's out folks. I fake being soccer ignorant at times, but actually I referee matches all over the world. My preference? Why, Iceland, of course!)

FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:46 pm

I didn't know there was a nurse ratchet smiley.... nice find.

Mildred will be pleased.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:05 am

Since we had a lot of fun at the expense of keepers,
I thought it only fair to showcase the field players.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum