Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

San Diego State today

+10
pms275
PilotDrummer
ejjqb
ninjapizza
Auto Pilot
FANatic
UPSoccerFanatic
DaTruRochin
Geezaldinho
Harry Redknapp
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

San Diego State today - Page 2 Empty Re: San Diego State today

Post by FANatic Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:23 am

You're right about the level of play for the Nike, ejjqb.

Actually, the last 4 matches were Husky and Portland Nike Tournaments. All four opponents were basically "cupcakes". I don't think it is this way normally.

I didn't mind the easy week-end following UCLA/USC. But it probably would have been good for the team to play at least one "competitive" school this past week-end.
San Diego State today - Page 2 Others-277
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:39 am

Actually, according to Albyn Jones. our median opponent coming into This last weekend was significantly tougher than any school in the top 10, and tougher than any school in the top 100.

Number two on the list is Santa Clara at almost 150 points lower. I know that will probably change with the next round of results, But I think it would be hard to make a case that we've only fed on the bun and no meat.

Albyn
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:37 pm

I thought San Diego State was intent on intimidating our players by playing rough. A number of times Megan R motioned to the ref about the overly rough treatment and the fouls. The kick to Enyeart when down was an example among many. Tackles were rough and intended to be so--it didn't work but it created some worry on my part that some of our players might well be injured in the melee. San Diego State apparently plays this way, hoping that the talent gap might be overcome by throwing and pushing people off their game. I also thought the ref was somewhat oblivious to the many fouls.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:41 pm

Wasn't it the same ref (tall, skinny) as the USC(?) game?
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:07 pm

PilotDrummer wrote:Wasn't it the same ref (tall, skinny) as the USC(?) game?

No, this ref was Jeremy Hanson. The USC ref was Greg Marshall.

You might be on ref overload because we saw Marshall as the ref in the men's game with UW.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ejjqb Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:09 pm

You probably got mixed up with the men's game on Friday night. The box scores confirmed the women's USC ref was the same as the men's ref for UW.

ejjqb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:35 pm

Yeah, too many refs. I just know he refereed a game this year.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:08 pm

Does anyone know if there is video available of Michelle's run? It was a beautiful thing to watch.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjapizza Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:10 pm

Ask and ye shall receive
ninjapizza
ninjapizza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 233

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:21 pm

Thanks ninjapizza, what a great highlight video. The second best thing is I could see myself in the stands there at the start!
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

San Diego State today - Page 2 Empty That's not all

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:26 pm

The NAU game is Here as well.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:37 pm

You guys are the best. I guess I should check the Pilots website before I start bugging you!
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:55 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:

Actually, according to Albyn Jones. our median opponent coming into This last weekend was significantly tougher than any school in the top 10, and tougher than any school in the top 100.

Geezer I can't find fault in that. But do you really, honestly believe KSU and Colgate belonged on the same field as the Pilots? (You saw the games - I'll take your word as final).
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:04 pm

My opinion is that they belonged on the field; but they were not in the same class as UP. But I really think that the Pilots were so fired up after the tough games against USC and UCLA that they were ready to pound someone. In prior years it's true that the opposition in Seattle has been a little stronger but remember that the wins in the past two weeks have also been with extensive playing time from members of the squad who are not perhaps likely to start come "show time".

We'll know more after Penn State, Rutgers, and Florida.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:22 pm

We'll know more after Penn State, Rutgers, and Florida

I totally agree with this statement. According to Garrett and Jillian Ellis who said roughly the same thing prior to the first game "that we will know more about the Pilots/UCLA after this game." I actually thing that weekend was more of a crucible of fire which upped the level of play for both teams.

I think the testing part will be Penn State, Rutgers and Florida. These games will establish the mindset for the conference season.

BTW I was reading Santa Clara's press release after losing to North Carolina and the names I saw reminded me not to count out Santa Clara (along with Geezer's admonition) ie. Jorden Angelli, Lexi Orand, Kiki Bosio. Megan McCray plus a crop of youngsters that could give anyone fits. This is a talented bunch that seemed like they were unlucky not to get a goal against North Carolina. Giving up 5 to them however makes me think their defense might be suspect.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:31 pm

Right now I think there are only a few teams in the NCAA that can hang with the Pilots, so I don't think us blowing them out means they are all that bad.

I Also don't think you can lump all those teams together. KSU particularly, is pretty well respected in the East. They were the Atlantic 10 champs last year and are projected to win again this year. Their record is 4-2-2 right now. Did they belong on the field with the Pilots?
Well, Nah. Not many other teams do either. We are far and away the toughest team on their schedule

SDSU has played some pretty good teams, including CSNorthridge (5-1) and Villanova (7-0) and Arizona State (3-2-2)

The other two teams turned out kind of stinkers, it's true, but I think they are the lull portion of the schedule.

If you add up the records of the first four opponents, their combined record is 19-4-4

The last 3? 5-15-2
But that includes 6 losses to us and to UW, which, much to every one's surprise, is undefeated.

(UW will get a sense of what their season is really going to be like next week against Purdue and Illinois.)
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:39 pm

Auto Pilot wrote:
BTW I was reading Santa Clara's press release after losing to North Carolina and the names I saw reminded me not to count out Santa Clara (along with Geezer's admonition) ie. Jorden Angelli, Lexi Orand, Kiki Bosio. Megan McCray plus a crop of youngsters that could give anyone fits. This is a talented bunch that seemed like they were unlucky not to get a goal against North Carolina. Giving up 5 to them however makes me think their defense might be suspect.

Agnelli ( along with Poach and Lewis) was gone with an ACL before the season started, so she didn't play.

North Carolina reports said that they felt the SCU weakness was matching up against the UNC midfield..
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:04 pm

Regarding the quality of our opponents the past two weekends, we also have to remember that the Huskies and Pilots select the opponents a couple of years in advance - some at least two years out. So, there's a certain amount of guesswork about how strong an opponent will be on the year they will be playing here.

Also, two years ago, the Huskies were coming off a very hard no-win year against one of the toughest schedules ever. They may have lobbied for some easier games two years out.

That said, Kennesaw State's record in '05 was 13-4-1, and 8-2-0 in their conference; in '06 was 13-2-2, 8-1-0; and in '07 was 17-4, conference championship, and 3-0 loss to Florida State in the first round of the NCAA tournament, which would not be considered a blowout. Colgate's '05 record was 12-5-1, 6-1-0 (in the Patriot League); '06 was 13-6-0, 4-3-0; and '07 was 10-8-1, 3-4-0. So, depending on when we scheduled these teams, it well may have looked like we were scheduling teams likely to be at or near the tops of their conferences. I can't find archives for Northern Arizona and San Diego State, but I think those teams would have been less likely to have looked that strong.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by harryb Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:04 pm

If I read Albyn Jones right, his high ranking of our opposition was after the USC game, when we were 2-1. He hasn't updated since then.
harryb
harryb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:34 pm

I tip my Pilots cap to those of you who do the research on opposing teams, past records, power indexes, left-footed PKs vs. righthanded keepers, etc. so that I don't have to. All this is so fun to follow along with. Love the insights and opinions!
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2