Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Booyah!

+4
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
Rob's Jacket
Rochin54
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Booyah! Empty Booyah!

Post by Rochin54 Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:50 am

Yes! After hitting the 40 hour mark for the week when I left work last night, I was greeted at home by the tickets I was able to round up for the Oregon at Purdue game this Saturday:

Row 15, 47 yard line, Ducks sideline, inlcuded a parking pass, all at face value!

Oh happy day!!! Only downer is that I miss the ND-Michigan game, probably the best game at Notre Dame Stadium this year.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Booyah! Empty Re: Booyah!

Post by Rob's Jacket Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:28 am

Jealous.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:43 am

Nice grab. Football in September in the midwest is really tough to beat. The only thing missing from your Saturday now would be some Oregon microbrews for the tail gate...

The ND - Michigan game is going to be interesting, with both teams being question marks so far this year.

ND is bound to break out one of these games, and I will prognosticate that Saturday will be it. I say ND by 10.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:25 am

The tailgaters are nice, and show that duck fans have solved the problem of too much beer, too little time. Rolling Eyes
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:40 am

I would have gone to ND - Michigan
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:45 am

Naw... it will be sweet to watch the Pac-10 throw down a "good" Big 10 team. I think I hate the Big 10 more than any other conference... they think they are so good at everything, but really... they're not.

(Hmm... that last line was vaguely reminiscient of Zoolander. Sigh... I have been working way too much lately. My mind is not sharp.)

Oh, and DTR - you need to come back down to Portland. Just FYI.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:48 am

(This I very much realize, haha maybe I can move back down in time for basketball season...)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:10 am

You would have gone to ND - Mich, but who can trust your taste when it's a known fact that you're a Husky fan!

You excessive celebrators, you!
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:52 am

What can I say, I enjoy watching teams who have actually won Division I championships...

At least you can look at our uniforms without suffering permanent retina damage... Its almost as bad as listening to Petros Papadakis provide color commentary...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:17 pm

Haha - what's funny is that my favorite duck parafanalia that I own is a lightning yellow hat. ND folks around here have indicated that the color and hat are "offensive." But I like the permenant retina damage Smile
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:22 pm

Interesting that you choose the word "paraphernalia" to describe gear supporting a team in Eugene....

I suppose you can handle permanent retina damage when you rock the Caprice Classic.... it kind of cancels out all the bad vibes from the made up Nike color
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:27 pm

I like Barry Tompkins as an announcer. It's a damn shame we have to listen to Petros along with him.

I can't complain about the season so far--I got to go to my first two games ever at Autzen, and play some music on the field (I used my connections and got in the alumni band). Got a free lightning yellow shirt, too.Very Happy

Traffic was terrible getting out of the stadium the first game. I can understand why the Washington fans would want to leave after the third quarter to beat the rush.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:38 pm

Barry Tompkins isn't bad at all.... Petros just needs to learn to be quiet and understand nobody wants to listen to him talk. Furthermore why do we have to listen to a USC guy anyway?? I guess D'Marco Farr does the studio work... But nobody from Oregon probably cares to listen to him either. (But at least he doesn't sound like a weasel with laryngitis)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:46 pm

DaTru - In sports, it's always "what have you done for me lately?".

What was that season opening score: 44 - 10? Yeah, that's what my Webfoots have done for me lately. (And 66 - 24 with 688 total yards wasn't a bad day's work. Though I'm not real happy with points allowed, to be honest.)

If the Yellow "blinders" can boot Purdue on the road like they humiliated Michigan last year, wow, that would be bunches of fun!!!

(Will the Quackers let me down in the end? Yeah, they usually do...)

Booyah! Music-057

Just havin' fun with ya, Rochin!
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:19 pm

FANatic, from what I remember there were only one or two Utah St. score in the first half, with the first string playing. I think it was our second string that allowed the points to USU's backups late in the game. And the Ducks have some reserves on offense that looked very good. When they are starting in a season or two the offense will still be fine. They just kept scoring and scoring in the second half. But like the Pilot ladies, these two games don't a whole lot compared to what's ahead.

(Note: 66 points=10 times playing Mighty Oregon cheers )

Those were my first two trips to Autzen and I have to say, playing in front of 57K fans was one of my biggest thrills as a musician. I'd have to say Autzen is the Merlo Field of Pac-10 football (Which I think is quite a compliment to Duck fans)!

Last edited by PurplePrideTrumpet on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Got the score wrong)
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:04 pm

Yeah, it may be what have you done for me lately, but the last 15 years have been pretty dark up at UW... From the whole probation years, then throw in Rick "The Weasel" Neiuheisel and his band of thugs (no seriously, if you want to read up on it the Seattle Times did this little piece: Victory and Ruins Its pretty fascinating actually, not to mention absolutely appalling the things going on at that program) Next the HORRIBLE Keith Gilbertson and now with Tyrone Willingham.... sigh...

I guess thats what happens when you start actually having tough admission standards for football players (cough ND cough)... It looks better for graduation rates, but uh the success on the field is sacrificed...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:08 pm

Rochin54 wrote:Only downer is that I miss the ND-Michigan game, probably the best game at Notre Dame Stadium this year.

What, they aren't playing any class A high school games this year in ND Stadium?? Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:54 am

not technically
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:49 am

For years UW was King of the NW. UO and OSU would get killed every year and so would WSU.

UW was big time and commanded repect nationally. I never thought the Oregon schools would ever catch up, to be honest.

Having tough admissions standards makes it really difficult to field an elite football program, no doubt. I knew something was up with Neiuheisel the first time he opened his mouth. But, really, not following UW closely, I simply don't understand why they have slipped so far. Can one coach screw up a team so bad that they can't get back up?

(Whitsett did this with the Blazers quite effectively!)
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:00 am

Ah, UW.

If you've got a spare hour, I highly recommend this series by the Seattle Times about the 2000 Washington Huskies and the legal problems, cover-ups, lack of administrative control etc. etc. that went along with that 11-1, Rose Bowl winning team:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/victoryandruins/

The thing is... I don't think all of the things highlighted in the article were specific to UW. I think a lot of them are endemic in big-time D1 football. Oregon State went through a bit of it a few years ago, and Oregon has a long history of sweeping its players discretions under the rug (including Belott's son's multiple DUIs).

So I don't take that series as putting dirt on UW per se... I see it as exposing the dirty secrets of big-time D1 football.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:20 am

I will take Stonehouse a step further and say that story is a must read for every college sports fan, to show how things can go so terribly wrong and to keep everything in perspective!

But Stonehouse is also correct in that this sort of behavior, sadly, likely goes on at most major programs across the country...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:54 am

Yeah.... The article was a big eye opener... From players literally being touted as family men but at the same time being cited for domestic abuse and having 2 girlfriends on the side, to date rape covered up by "friends of the university", not to mention outstanding warrants for armed robbery DURING football season (for a player who would urinate upon himself on the field to intimidate), and players trying to succeed academically being ostracized because their desire to learn interferes with their football commitments...

And yeah you can't tell me this is the only place this happened...

And FANatic... its been a long and slippery road for the Huskies, from outright probation for a backup quarterback accepting $40K to buy a truck equipped with gun racks, to Lambright (and those damn Purple helmets) and Nieuheisel both allowing the program and players to absolutely run wild, to Gilbertson being completely inept, its been a long steady stream of mistakes. Now 2 of Willingham's prized recruits J.R. Hasty and E.J. Savannah are both gone (both were top 50 recruits when taken, including Hasty as the #2 RB in the country) because they couldn't measure up academically. I think its been just one thing after another, and honestly unless academic standards are relaxed the purple and gold are going to be mired in mediocrity for a very long time....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:23 pm

I think that's a cop-out. Until there is accountability for academic and athletic success, there will not be improvement. However, there must be accountability for academic success across the board (i.e., all institutions). There is no rule that says good or great athletes cannot be succesful in the classroom. Total BS.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:40 pm

Haha yeah, but until you can get that enforced nationally, which the NCAA tries to do with threats of scholarship removal, it's all for naught. If some players have the choice of going to a place where they are going to be challenged academically as hard as they are through football vs. a place where they can do football and coast through school, unfortunately a lot of players are going to choose that for fear that their "game" and chances that academics might interfere with that. I've seen it happen with players getting bad advice, told the game is what was going to be their ticket to success instead of a degree... For the VERY talented it works, but for the average "student athlete" it doesn't. That said the schools willing to accept athletes with no intention of actually being students automatically have a leg up over institutions requiring people to actually get that degree and better themselves academically. Until that disparity is closed, it isn't a cop out, it all becomes a matter of who gives first, the institutions trying to establish integrity, or those willing to sacrifice it for success on the field.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:34 pm

Rochin54 wrote:Yes! After hitting the 40 hour mark for the week when I left work last night, I was greeted at home by the tickets I was able to round up for the Oregon at Purdue game this Saturday:

Row 15, 47 yard line, Ducks sideline, inlcuded a parking pass, all at face value!

Oh happy day!!! Only downer is that I miss the ND-Michigan game, probably the best game at Notre Dame Stadium this year.

GREAT CHOICE, Rochin! Not only did you see a Ducks Double OT win cheers, you didn't have to sit in the deluge at ND. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum