Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern Arizona and San Diego State Games

+13
fozziewozzie
purple haze
harryb
GUPhantom
PurplePrideTrumpet
DaTruRochin
PilotNut
Stonehouse
FANatic
aleppiek
Auto Pilot
Geezaldinho
UPSoccerFanatic
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Northern Arizona and San Diego State Games - Page 2 Empty Re: Northern Arizona and San Diego State Games

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:41 pm

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:
So Geez, you played as a kid? I can remember playing futbol on our junior high school football field. Later played high school and college soccer, including my favorite defeat of soon-to-be national champ Navy in a game in which they outshot us 35-2. Anybody else out there who was playing soccer more than 50 years ago? No

Oh sure, I played. I was born in a foreign country, so it was my first sport (along with cricket). I also played high school and college. It was a Loooong time ago. Soccer wasn't even an NCAA sport. Back then, everyone who was a real athlete played three sports, minimum, so it was a bit different. Most people didn't concentrate on on sport year 'round.

Contrary to rumors, we did not play with a goat's head.

Northern Arizona and San Diego State Games - Page 2 610x

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Northern Arizona and San Diego State Games - Page 2 Empty Re: Northern Arizona and San Diego State Games

Post by PilotNut Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:10 am

Purplegeezer wrote:Here's a short clip of the N. Arizona field during UP's 4-0 win a couple years ago--

Was there an earthquake going on during that filming? tongue
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:10 am

Nice goat's head, Geezer.

THAT'S TERRIBLE!!!

(Where'd ya find that, SICKO Magazine?)
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:01 am

Stonehouse wrote:

I think the real name of the impostor M&M's is Pokies. That's right, Pokies. I think MattyWizz can back me up on that.

I wonder if they serve them at the PSU football games?

It"d be perfect.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:01 am

I think tonight may be the night for Megan to break out with a Goal or two... anyone else?
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:25 pm

I could get used to averaging 7 goals a game... maybe I'm just greedy...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:36 pm

Its getting like I wonder what is wrong if they haven't scored in the first ten minutes. Wow. Hat Trick for Ellie. Is she just teasing us about how much we will be missing her?
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:58 pm

The total destruction of three consecutive teams, even if they aren't at the highest level of competition, shows what this team is made of. It is a hallmark of a true champion and will bode well going forward.

I have said it before, and I will continue to say it every year as long as we continue to play this way (my signature): Great teams NEVER lift their foot off an opponent's throat... That's what we saw and heard tonight. Great teams do not let their opponents even dream of a possible upset. They simply bury them from beginning to end.

I didn't attend the match tonight, but I heard Adam Linnman on Audio. It was obvious throughout this game, that rather than be bored to death and goof around knowing they were going to win, the Pilots continued attacking NAU relentlessly. When NAU got the ball, it was taken away from them it seemed almost like every time.

They demoralized their opponent with their skill and cohesiveness. This is "killer instinct" at its very best and we should count ourselves lucky that we play this way against "ALL teams every match".
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by harryb Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:01 pm

Charney Burk looked real comfortable as the distributing midfielder in the second half. It would be interesting to see Megan put up front with Danielle. Michelle O. was solid in defensive midfield all game. Janelle Jacka has sure improved. Halley Kreminski must be injured.
harryb
harryb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:07 pm

Uncanny prediction by UPSoccerFanatic, who said, "I'm guessing a high-scoring affair vs Northern Arizona." Score was just 1-0 midway through the first half until the Poilts started pouring it on. Final score 7-0: 2 goals for Burke, 3 for Reed, UP bench emptied to let everyone healthy play, shots on goal something like 25 for UP, 1 for NAU. So we did get to see Emma Nelson step in at midfield to do a fine job, Janelle Jacka at right forward with some strong moves to the goal, Michelle Olivier at holding mid and owning the field all gale, and the dynamic trio of Enyeart, Reed and Winters perform like a trained circus act with all sorts of dynamic and dangerous attacks. Not to overlook a free kick blast for Megan R's goal.

Even with all the young bench players in the game, the Pilots still play the same gorgeous brand of soccer: under control, in posession, looking to pass. It's a team style and a team concept that doesn't vary when the players go on or off the field, and right now it looks like a highly effiecent machine. Too bad Kreminski didn't suit up, and Chandhoke left early and put an ice bag on one leg. Schmidt was icing up too after taking some hard hits in the first half.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:38 pm

the lineup garrett started for this game is what i think we will see when our 3 u-20's have to leave us. this weekend will give us a chance to see those gals get some experience at new/different positions. michelle olivier did a admirable job at diffensive mid, i still say she's a keelin clone.

elli was the player of the game an i would say that even if she hadn't scored a hat trick! she was outstanding! i still think that her best position is outside mid. i am more comfortable with her as a d-back, i just like her so much better in the midfield.

is anyone besides me as impressed with cassie at center back as i am? she is deceptively fast, very good in the air an i don't think i've seen her beat 1 v 1 once so far.

on a side note, i noticed late in the 2nd half keelin tweek her right knee i believe it was twice. she grimaced, winced an limped for a few steps an then sucked it up. it was fun seeing her play up top with enyeart an elli making her runs. she should have had a goal or two in this game.

unfortunate for the san diego st coaches who left the game at the half. they are going to be surprised at the full power of the pilots.

oh, by the way. sara jackman showed me something i hadn't seen previously. while she may not be very good dribble/creating, she makes fantastic crosses an delivering long balls. i would be curious to see her up top. it looks like she would have a very 'heavy' shot which would lead to lots of rebounds or shots through the keepers hands.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:07 pm

fozziewozzie wrote:the lineup garrett started for this game is what i think we will see when our 3 u-20's have to leave us. this weekend will give us a chance to see those gals get some experience at new/different positions. michelle olivier did a admirable job at diffensive mid, i still say she's a keelin clone.

That lineup looked fine to me. The good thing about these games is they can afford to experiment and see what works.

fozziewozzie wrote:elli was the player of the game an i would say that even if she hadn't scored a hat trick! she was outstanding! i still think that her best position is outside mid. i am more comfortable with her as a d-back, i just like her so much better in the midfield.

Elli looked very good tonight. If I were playing the Pilots I would not be leaving her acres of space down the wing like she had tonight. Bad things happen (but they're good for us!). And what a deadly shot! The first two times it seemed like she just stood there, thought, "okay, what the heck," and blasted it.

fozziewozzie wrote:is anyone besides me as impressed with cassie at center back as i am? she is deceptively fast, very good in the air an i don't think i've seen her beat 1 v 1 once so far.

It did not take long for me to notice Kassi. She certainly doesn't play like a freshman. When your opponent picks up its second shot in the 85th minute, the whole defense deserves credit.

I can't decide which goal was my favorite: The third, where we faked out the wall and Megan blasted it through the gap, or #4, Elli's first, the laser shot to the top corner.

Favorite cheer: "Hey Northern Arizona, you're letting us show the freshmen how to run the flag properly!" GOOOAAAALLL!!!!
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:35 pm

my favorite goal was elli's 2nd goal. difficult angle an difficult shot, but she had this smile on her face like, 'are you kidding me giving me that shot?' it was a ridiculous shot an she was smiling like it was a sure thing.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by pms275 Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:49 pm

I agree with the sentiment on Kassi. She is looking more comfortable back there and she has great backpedaling ability.

Watching Danielle and Charney has been a lot of fun, too. We've got a great crop of freshmen!
pms275
pms275
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:55 pm

fozziewozzie wrote:my favorite goal was elli's 2nd goal. difficult angle an difficult shot, but she had this smile on her face like, 'are you kidding me giving me that shot?' it was a ridiculous shot an she was smiling like it was a sure thing.

Yeah, I loved the look on her face when she scored tonight.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:04 am

A few observations:

1. I have a different take on Elli's second goal. She looked at her team-mates and shrugged her shoulders with a big grin. No way it was a shot. Just a long cross that went over the keeper and in. But, as Christine said when asked if it was a shot, "It went in, didn't it?"

2. It looks like Charney has been told that when the "no U-20 players" lineup is in, she is to be more of a scorer. She was shooting much more than previously.

3. Janelle Jacka has had two great games: Against Kennesaw State playing left mid and today against Northern Arizona playing right mid. She may end up being the surprise player of the year. If so, that is great, as I know that she has worked really, really hard to improve over the past two years. And, she has been nursing a nagging injury, so it's great to see her do well and get playing time.

4. I agree that Sara Jackman looked much better tonight. Left mid looks like a good position for her.

5. If I'm a Northern Arizona defender, what do I think when the second half starts, we're down 4-0, and Portland just has subbed in as forwards Michelle Enyeart and Keelin Winters? And, if I'm on the left side, what do I think when I'm constantly facing Elli Reed and Michelle Enyeart coming down the flank, with Keelin Winters edging over?

6. Garrett definitely has established the "No mercy" rule this year. "Just pour it on" seems to be the command. Looks like the team wants it as emphatic as possible that we deserve a #1 seed in the Tournament this year. (#1 seeds are guaranteed home games for rounds 1 and 2, notwithstanding the ordinary travel rule.)

7. I noticed Keelin come up limping, too, and then shake it off. Hope she's ok.

8. I think Kendra is nursing a hamstring. She talked to Garrett on the sideline right before she came out. When the U-20s are gone, the Pilots absolutely need her.

9. Olivier looked a little out of place early in the game -- the Pilots, as is typical, took a while to get into a flow -- but as the game progressed looked better and better.

10. Sure wish we could see Halley. I hope any "ding" she has is not long-term.

Other notable results: Stanford and North Carolina tied 1-1; Brown beat Penn State 1-0; Santa Clara lost to UNC Greensboro 1-0.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:10 am

i love our frosh too! what a group, an couple them with our soph's an only losing our beloved rapinoe's, another national championship is in the very near future!!! i feel that this program will win a national championship every 3-4 years which will allow us to be a national power for years an years to come. why wouldn't a top level player wouldn't want to come to the bluff an the city of roses for a real home town feeling to play thier careers?
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:34 am

Smart move by Garrett to start the game with Elli, Michelle E, and Keelin on the bench. It's important to use these games to find out who can do what when they are gone. The plan had to be amended after Kendra pulled up, and Elli certainly had an impact on the game.

I agree with UPSF, Michelle O took some time to settle down but looked pretty solid for a freshman central defender playing out of position. She has good vision and plays a good pass, and certainly tackles and heads the ball well. Once she figured out that she can do the simple things, cover in front of the defense and play simple passes she looked even better. It'll take more than one game for her to figure out where she 's supposed to be but she could be very good in that position. It frees Sophie to play forward where she holds ball up well and links with other players so well.

Megan R hit her free kick soooo hard! I've been saying that she's not got her shot back yet. That one was superb: keeper got close but it was a bullet!

Charney was on a mission last night: shoot! Second half she switched to the point of the diamond and played that role well.

This run of games has been great because it has given them the chance to feel out different positions. My experience as a player and a coach is that can really pay off later. Not only do you have flexibility in case of injuries etc. but players have a better sense of the shape and pacing of the game. They play better and with more vision and insight once they go back to their regular position. They link with their teammates better having experienced the game from a different perspective on the field. I've had girls tell me that they finally understood what I was talking about as a coach (maybe more an indication of a failure to communicate on my part?) because they had played in a different position and could see the game from a teammates perspective.

Plus they are having fun! Keelin seems to enjoy playing forward for a few games. Emma Nelson, Kristen Kelly, Korie Nicholson, Sara Jackman, Janelle Jacka have all had significant playingtime which is cool.

Like others I assume Halley K is hurt: anyone have more definitive intelligence?

And is the redshirt strategy for Hailee confirmed or just a rumor? She's in uniform and warms up etc. but has not set foot on the field. Given all the players and time they've had in the last 3 games I have to assume that Haille would have played if this was not a plan.

Final thought: after the game and the players have jogged back and forth and waved to the fans and are all drifting off, Garrett pulls Elli aside and says something to her: she lights up with a grin that flashes so bright. She's having so much fun these days and it's a joy to see. Elli and Keelin were good last year. But they are so much better this year. Scary idea: what if Michelle O and Charney and Danielle can improve that much by next year? Yikes!

This is going to be a lot of fun to watch: this year and for years to come.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:03 am

So, question on Rapinoe's goal off the free kick. Great job to make the entire wall AND the goalie bite on the fake. She drilled it off the calf of #3 and from there it went into the goal. It didn't go straight in. They credited Rapinoe for it, is that because it was a deflection? Or, because it was deflected, would that make it an own goal?
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:24 am

Good question... it's definitely a goal by Rapinoe. It was clearly the shot by her that resulted in a goal. It being deflected slightly by a defender is the same as, say, a goalie getting a hand on the ball but being unable to prevent it from going in. It's a goal all the way.

Own goals are when a team redirects a ball that is not headed for the goal into the net... if Megan's free kick was intended as a cross and wasn't headed toward the goal, but then got deflected in, that would be an own goal. Actually, that's what happened in the men's game... a few Washington players got all tangled up trying to clear away a cross off a free kick and ended up hitting it into the net.

Edit to add... I'm sure Geezer has a link somewhere to the exact rulebook definition. He's good like that!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:39 pm

Things are getting interesting early in the season as the pilots play San Diego State who have already lost to UW 2-0. I think how we play this game will be a better barometer of the next few games back east and Florida. Florida might be the biggest preconference threat of all having beaten highly ranked Florida State.

Penn will be a tough game especially on the road I think but we should do fine with Rutgers. Does anyone think that the preconference schedule is shaping up to be tougher than the conference?
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:05 pm

I'm not sure what to think about Florida. They beat FSU, but all the reports I saw of that game, FSU did everything but score. Apparently the Florida keeper had a career day.

As to th conference being easier, here's a chant you need to recite twice a day.

NEVER COUNT SANTA CLARA OUT. (ok, one more time before you go to bed)

Pepperdine looks looks it might be rebounding again from last season, and San Diego could be dangerous. In fact, all the WCC teams won yesterday, so the conference could be tough.

That said, We have an outside chance of running the table, I think. It would be even better if we can keep scoring like we have and keep racking up the shutouts.

Ar some point we are going to have to wean ourselves from the u20's. They are a pretty big part of the offense right now.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:16 pm

Agree to do the chant. Also agree that Keelin, Michelle and especially Ellie looked like they were on a different planet from the rest of the players yesterday.

It seemwto me that Garrett is trying to settle in the defense first and then work up from there (except for Megan who seems to be a lock on Center Mid)
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Northern Arizona and San Diego State Games - Page 2 Empty Other teams are in the same boat... We are the Pilots....

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:47 pm

I wonder what other top teams are losing players for the U-20 cup?

Here is the link to the Players pool for U-20

Under 20 Player Pool

Ok, I see that other top teams are losing a few too. Maybe all is well then?
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:39 pm

Wally, I can't find it right now but Geezer has a good handle on who out of the pool you linked will actually be going to Chile. I recolect that he said we are the only school losing three players
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next