Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WPS...

3 posters

Go down

WPS... Empty WPS...

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:50 pm

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/

My question is, how is Portland not one of the first, or even second round of cities granted a WPS franchise?? I mean men's soccer is one thing, but with the support the pilots get, not to mention the support international games have received for the women's game is second to none. It surprises me they don't even get a mention...

hope this incarnation of the league has a better plan than the WUSA.... but the lack of major sponsors, plan for community integration (such as with the academy system that the MLS now requires) it makes a long term future of the league impossible to even consider...

Skepticism aside, it would be so fun to be able to follow our favorite pilots more often than the USWT occasional tourney, World Cup and friendly, and hopefully would give more Pilots the chance to continue their careers beyond wearing purple and white.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

WPS... Empty Re: WPS...

Post by harryb Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:07 pm

I think they don't have an ownership group or a suitable venue in Portland. It may also be too far from the California cities. I'm guessing we'll get one eventually. Why don't one of you millionaires step up?
harryb
harryb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:32 pm

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2008/09/soccer_standouts_hope_fortunes.html

Looks like they approached Merritt Paulson trying to get the PDX as an inagural franchise... Too bad he wasn't willing to take the risk, could have been fun. But after the failure of the WUSA and a guarantee that owners are going to lose money over the next few years, I suppose it makes sense.

Last edited by DaTruRochin on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Pilots on the brain)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:57 am

That's Merritt Paulson, and it sounds like if the league proves to be viable and has some success in the next few years, he may have an interest.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:49 am

It will be a fight for sure... It will require a dedication by the public, not to mention a lot of sponsor investment... In Portland success would definitely be found, as to the rest of the country, that remains to be seen. Lets just label me cautiously optimistic....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum