Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UCLA thread

+23
GUPhantom
HRZag
SoreKnees
Oscar
wyeast
UPWomenSoccerRookie
fozziewozzie
pms275
Trenchcoat Wally
harryb
aleppiek
Stonehouse
PilotDrummer
dystopia membrane
KFTC
Harry Redknapp
UPSoccerFanatic
PurplePrideTrumpet
FANatic
Auto Pilot
ninjapizza
A_Fan
Geezaldinho
27 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

UCLA thread - Page 3 Empty Re: UCLA thread

Post by UPWomenSoccerRookie Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:47 pm

I, too, cringed at some of the calls, or rather, the lack of calls.

But my overall impression is that UCLA is a VERY talented team. The players are strong, very aggressive on both sides of the ball, with good ball-handling skills. NOTHING was easy.

I was also impressed with UP. I think they were able to rachet up their own intensity to match the Bruins.

I was very impressed with Sophie, both her skills and her aggression. A tough player, hard to knock off the ball. Likewise with Rachael. I don't mean to sleight any of the others, and I'm sure that some of this was due to those two having fresh legs late in the game.

I don't think the Pilots have anything to hang their heads about. Hopefully this game can serve as a learning experience. Now how will the Pilots respond on Monday? Certainly their bruises will not be healed. If they can come back with another game at that intensity ...

UPWomenSoccerRookie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:51 pm

Have to say that I didn't see anything I thought was particularly bad about the officiating, except that I have no idea why Korie got a yellow card -- maybe she said something. The official could have called a couple more fouls against UCLA early, but got better later. He let UCLA get away with stalling on throw ins in the second half, although warning them regularly. I myself did not see any clear pks that he should have awarded against UCLA.

As for UCLA's goal, our defenders had moved too far forward and got caught. We had been controlling possession for a while and moving more and more forward, and they just weren't ready for UCLA's quick counter attack offense. From the discussion about the Oregon game, this apparently was a problem then too. I think that's a learning experience thing that will get corrected as the season progresses; and getting burned expensively in an early game may help the learning process.

Overall, I thought we looked good. So did UCLA. The game could have gone either way and I'm guessing that we had significantly greater time of possession than they did. We definitely are capable of beating them, which I had worried about given our having replaced three quarters of our back line.

I really liked how our girls fought to the end. This team has real grit. It promises to be a great season.

And, this game was really fun to watch, except for the outcome. Two teams playing high quality futbol.

PS - Keelin had one absolutely incredible header. She was crossing the field, right to left, and went airborne horizontally, body flat out parallel to the ground at about the three foot level, and hit a really solid header forward. Never seen anything like that before. In my opinion, it was between her and Chaney for player of the game.

Last edited by UPSoccerFanatic on Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:55 pm

UCLA 1 : UP 0

I thought it was a pretty good game. UP took it to them most of the game, controlled the midfield, just couldn't punch it in. UP came close a couple times. There was the one breakdown that lead to Cheney's score. gotta hand it to her, she took advantage of pretty much the only clear chance she had. On the bright side, its early, and it looks like we'll see them again in the tournament. UP wasn't outplayed, they just didn't convert and UCLA did. I guess that's why they keep score.

The two central defenders looked great. for two freshmen, they looked very composed - stood up UCLA's best 1v1 and dispossessed them several time, even turning the ball upfield for counters.

The game was spoiled a little by some dubious refereeing. Once the linesman called an offsides when there were still 3 defenders in front of the pass recipient, and three takedowns in the box on Foxhoven resulted in no call. Megan gets kicked in the achilles by dimartino for no call, and Foxhoven knocks over diMartino on a 50-50 for a yellow. Comcast will replay the game tomorrow, I'll be interested to see some of those plays.

Most Pilots played. even Sophie got some time (abut 15 minutes at the end). I think Garrett will continue to go slow with her.
Rachael is seeing limited minutes, but was effective while she was in Megan played all but the last 10 or so.
5 freshmen got time in the game. Four for most of it. That's going to be really valuable time for later in the season.

It was nice to see Shannon Macmillan get a big hand. It was her first time back in Portland since she started coaching at UCLA. And there was nice applause for the UCLA Olympians (including Jillian ) when the teams were introduced.
It seemed a little strange the announcers didn't acknowledge Sophie, and Even Christine Sinclair was there. They could have included one or both of them.

Next up is USC on Monday. They beat Portland State 2:0 tonight. They sure didn't cover the Vegas spread.

Oh yeah. they put a spot on the "P". It looked pretty nice. Now there's just the canopy and plasma replay screens to go.

Hope to see most of you folks at the Men's game tomorrow. they are playing well, too.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:03 pm

upsf,
you really didnt think that danielle getting mauled in the box in the 1st half didnt warrant a pk?? an that whoever took keelin down from behind after that didnt deserve a yellow card? i agree that the ref started calling things more closely as the game prgressed, but that was after these two incidents. as for korie's yellow card, it seemed to me that it was sophie that might have gone up to him an said something. cant get use to her with brown hair. maybe he got confused like i am.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:17 pm

I really didn't expect a pk in the first situation; and I don't think most refs would have awarded one. You may be right about a korie/sophie confusion. Soph sure had a new look! I can't remember the Keelin take down, so I can't comment on that.

I agree that a ref could have called possibly two pks. But I just didn't expect calls in the situations I saw. As I think about if the situation had been reversed and the question were about pks being called against our players, if pks had been called, I would have felt it was reasonable but also would have felt the ref could have not called them. So, I didn't think they were clearly "blown" calls.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:27 pm

as geez stated, there were three take downs in the box, but the first to danielle was the most aggregist an i would have had no problem if the situation was reversed. it was balatant an obvious. i understand referee's hesitance to make calls in the box, but this was very clearly a foul. i cant wait to watch the replays on comcast and hear what the commentators have to say.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by wyeast Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:10 am

I brought some soccer players who are new to Oregon to the game tonight. I love showing off our UP soccer teams. That said....

While during the last 15-20 mins of each half, Portland looked stronger, I felt that UCLA possessed better and defended better. UCLA put more defensive pressure on the full length of the field. They anticipated and intercepted. They switched the field up.

I have noticed for years that Portland tries to penetrate up the middle a lot. I like to see more wing action - midfielders or defenders overlapping on the line. They try to go up the middle so much, I know that it is a choice of theirs, but I just don't like trying to have one forward receive the ball with 3 defenders and then try and turn and beat them. While Christine Sinclair pulled it off... that is pretty unique.

Megan R played outstanding! The ref should have called the one PK first half.

wyeast
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2007-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:29 am

Pilots--- Major home field advantage
Bruins --- Ref advantage on 1-2 calls
That evened both teams.

Bruins better by one goal. Agreed and accepted.

Bruins were smart enough to hamper the Pilots midfield play. As said before, that is where just about all the Pilot attacks generated.

It is a pretty easy scenario for USC to follow. I hope the Pilots can pull off some new attack formations for Monday or we will have a somber ending to soccer weekend.
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:27 am

I'm interested to see if Sophie Schmidt plays more tomorrow and, if so, in which position. Last night she was playing wide right, with Rachel R and Danielle up front and Michelle E wide left. Then Megan R went off, Elli R was out left and Michelle played the attacking mid.

I can't see wide right as Sophie's highest and best use. Keelin is a star as the holding mid so Sophie shouldn't displace her (although she'll be great in that spot when KW heads to U20 WC). So does she (Sophie) play at the back in place of McCuskie? or upfront like last year - when we have Enyeart, Rachel R, and Foxhoven already?
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

UCLA thread - Page 3 Empty Pictures Thread!

Post by PilotDrummer Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:54 am

Before Starting Lineups:
UCLA thread - Page 3 Dsc_7610

The students seem to have a particular opinion:
UCLA thread - Page 3 Dsc_7611

Driving (pretty sure this is the drive where she was pushed down from behind in front of the penalty spot):
UCLA thread - Page 3 Dsc_7612

One of many great attempts from the side of the goal:
UCLA thread - Page 3 Dsc_7613

Hmm, left, right, or middle:
UCLA thread - Page 3 Dsc_7710

Shot!
UCLA thread - Page 3 Dsc_7711

I'll have to try this while playing, didn't realize it was legal:
UCLA thread - Page 3 Dsc_7712

Didn't realize this was, either:
UCLA thread - Page 3 Dsc_7713
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

UCLA thread - Page 3 Empty UCLA Game

Post by Oscar Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:01 am

Hi everyone. Nice to have soccer back.

I thought last night's game was a wonderful encounter between two high quality games. I thought the result was correct for a couple of reasons. First, UP started four freshman and UCLA started one. That difference in experience alone makes a difference. I disagree mostly with the feeling that the officiating was bad. The first half knockdown of Foxhoven came after the ball was out of her zone of control and no referee would call a penalty on that. Same with the second. The takedown in the second half, though, when she was pinched by two defenders was a different case. One could have been called but I doubt most referees would. Such is the game.

By the way, the first yellow was for a blatant, perhaps accidental, foot trip on a breakway opportunity. That's an automatic yellow. Even though whatever happened to draw the second yellow happened right in front of me, I have no idea what happened.

I also think that UCLA was in better condition than UP. During the first 15 minutes our ladies were every bit as fast if not faster. As the game wore on, however, our slowed a bit and theirs kept up. In really came into play in the second half. A UCLA player closed on every breakaway possibility that UP had. It looked like UCLA had one more player on the pitch all second half and that's a sure sign of a speed difference. None of this is that big a concern. We have several women coming back from some big-time injuries and four new starters does not make for a quick start.

Last observation, the substitution bringing in Chandhoke hurt the team a lot. She's such a beautiful player but I just don't see her helping that much. It's a disappointment. As soon as she in the game slowed. Once out, it picked up again. Bringing in Rachel, however, does the opposite. The game picks up. I hope she holds together because she is really good.

Oscar
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:09 am

I think the biggest problem the Pilots had was the utter failure to threaten the goal on set pieces. They had corner after corner in the second half but I don't think they ever got a shot off of one. Plus a couple of DFKs in the attacking third that were no where close to the goal. Something to work on the next few weeks?
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:20 am

A picture from the Oregonian. Queeny was there broadcasting. Pity we didn't get a chance to see her.

UCLA thread - Page 3 2813649262_b56b182a4f
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:52 am

What to say? UCLA, while rough and tumble and fouling a lot, is an incredibly fast team with a tremendous defense and GK.

The Pilots would have scored four or five goals against a lot of teams. I was just so impressed with the Pilots. We have some monster offensive weapons, and they just played their hearts out trying to score even just one goal. Danielle is going to be another Megan R./Michelle E.. Incredible talent. Charney is going to be probably our starting attacking mid in a year or two.

Our freshmen dynamic duo of center backs, Kassi and Michelle O., are wonderful and only need time to become more acclimated to collegiate soccer and the Pilots way of doing things. I thought all four of our freshmen starters showed great improvement form the first game against Oregon. They were thrown into the proverbial fire last night and acquited themselves quite admirably I thought, regardless of the one lapse. This new defense of ours is going to allow fewer and fewer goals as the season progresses, I believe.

Regarding where to play Sophie, Martin Jol, is a tough one for the Pilots. I'm not so sure I would take McCluskie out of the line-up. But I agree wide right is probably not the best spot for her talents. A tough one, but I'm confident Coach will figure it out.

(Oh, and Geezer, speak for yourself! I had a nice chat with Lindsey Huie before the match.)
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:06 pm

FANatic wrote:
(Oh, and Geezer, speak for yourself! I had a nice chat with Lindsey Huie before the match.)

You just did that to make me insanely jealous. Smack!
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:20 pm

What about playing Sophie in Kassi's spot and moving Kassi into Megan Sweeney's spot, meaning Megan would come off the bench. Kassi seems to like to go forward some anyway. That would give us two really strong central defenders and perhaps add a little more aggression and height at outside defender. Kassi could play whichever side suits here better, as Jessica Tsao has proved herself able to play either side well. Question
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by HRZag Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:36 pm

Martin Sol, great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

HRZag
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2007-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:59 pm

It was a great game and as Garrett said in one of those recent interviews win or lose it will serve the Pilots well as the season progresses. I'd like to speak up for Megan Sweeney. She played Kara Lang to a standstill in the first half dispossessing her any number of times. That's no mean feat.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

UCLA thread - Page 3 Empty BETTER CALL GEICO

Post by GUPhantom Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:19 pm

Megan Rapinoe is a Beast! When I first saw her play for the Pilots in 2005, I started to call her
a Bully Linebacker! Cuz...whenever I saw an opposing player get taken down...Megan was in the vacinity!

I'm am so happy to see her "back" on the pitch! Has she been "taking it slow" ....after a 2 year absence?
Still recovering? Tentative?...Emphatic NO!!!....I didn't see any of that in her games against UO and UCLA!
One would expect to see a drop in Megan's performance after not playing for so so very long! Most athletes are
never the same after a career threathing injury...but most athletes are not Megan! We're so so fortunate to
have her at UP. She's (the twins) are the last ones with any ties to when Clive was still alive. His last
recruit(s)? And what a gem of a player he left us in Megan!!

I think she's imposed her personality on this young Pilot team. She provides the leadership it longs for. She's
ultra-competitive and battles with un-relenting toughness! (Tina Dimartino is a very very very good MF...a favorite of
player of mine actually. I also like Brittney Klein of Santa Clara.) Anyway...I enjoyed watching the Megan vs Tina
engagements last night! I think though that Tina was aghast at Megan's intensity! I overheard some of their
conversations. It went something like this. Of course, I'm para-phrasing....

Tina --> "OUCH!! Excuse me?!...Oh...helloooo Megan....aren't you supposed to be taking it easy??"
Megan --> "Easy is for sissys....I'm staking my claim to a starting spot on Senior Team! This possession is MINE by the way..."
Tina --> "This is not good...I'd better call Geico....for this ding you just put on my head!"

Two of our other premiere players (Michelle Enyeart and Keelin Winters in particular) embodies Megan's same business-sense
and work ethic! There was another post on Keelin's Twin sighting??? Well, how about Triplets?? All 3 are lunchpail types
and leave it all on the field everytime! Except Keelin will break her game-face and put on this "Big Smile"...whenever she's
in the middle of a hard-hard challenge! Anyone else notice that? It's the same tell-tale sign as Queenie's shrieking laugh or MJ tongue!
When it breaks out...usually something EXTRAORDINARY happens!

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:00 am

If the road to the championship goers through Westwood again this year, the Pilots have work to do. For all the incredible Merlo Field support for the home team, the Bruins didn't look the least bit rattled. Not scoring in the first half really hurt UP, because the Bruin defense kept the Pilots from threatening in the second half. What stood out to me was that our attacks as the game progressed were across the field, not up the field. Most of the time when Enyeart got the ball, she was facing her own goal with a defender right on her back. Her options were to run side to side or drop the ball back to a defender. Enyeart deserved to be fed the ball where she has room to move and create. Her breakaway run in the first half to hit Foxhoeven with a pass was amazing; how could we not score on that one!

The game reminded me of the Pilots vs. North Carolina a couple of years ago: two well-matched teams, hard-fought game, one defensive lapse leads to a visitor score, and Pilots lose 1-0. NC was the eventual national champ. So next time I will refuse the free "Beat UCLA" pin or "Beat Carolina" poster or "Beat USC" tattoo when we play a top-ranked foe. The other team's fans live in fear of UP instead.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by FairPlay Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:47 am

Oscar,

I'm curious about your interpretation of the rules, especially the "zone of control". Where does that come from? Reading the official NCAA rules - http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2007/2007_m_w_soccer_rules.pdf

"12.15 Ejections"
"12.15.6 Denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving toward the player’s goal by an offense punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick; "

This would seem to apply regardless of any "zone of control", and while a red card would seem a bit much for Thompson tripping Foxhoven, not calling a PK in such a situation demeans the game.

Anyway, while UCLA is obviously quite talented, I find it hard to watch their ugly style of play. I wonder why this style of play is accepted in soccer, which can be such a beautiful game.
I understand that there is a competitive advantage to be gained by playing rough, especially when the ref decides to let the game play on. It's hardly worth going to the game if every scoring opportunity ends in the offensive player being tackled.
I just wonder why people (fans really) accept such ugly play with "Such is the game.". Why don't we expect better?

FairPlay
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:12 pm

Unfortunately its often the best way to counter a quicker, more skillful side... And if the ref is going to let you get away with it without any bookings, its an unfortunately effective tactic... That said if you figure out how to use your strengths to counteract the brutality, the results can be quite fruitful... cough Greg Ryan cough cough Brazil cough cough....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by pms275 Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:51 pm

Noticed that Portland State had a very difficult time with UCLA today, 7-0.
pms275
pms275
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by UPWomenSoccerRookie Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:05 pm

I was pleased that the three UCLA players & coach with Olympic ties were recognized before the match.

Regarding the aggressive style of play, the Bruins set the tone from the start. The Pilots had to step it up once it was clear the ref what the ref would allow. I commend the Pilots for reaching deeper and stepping up their level of play.

Regardless of your stand on whether things were too aggessive, the Bruins are very talented. Their anticipation and defense of our offense was impressive. They are going to have to be reckoned with for any team aiming for the title. We gave it our best shot, were sky-high emotionally, had our home field / 12th player advantage, and the Bruins seemed little fazed.

I expect that after this weekend they will be #1.

UPWomenSoccerRookie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

UCLA thread - Page 3 Empty PK non-call

Post by bluffer Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:31 am

I thought I would confirm everyones suspicions regarding the takedown of Foxhoven early in the first half of the UCLA game. In case you were unable to attend the game and/or watch it on Comcast, the play happened about 4 minutes into the game. Enyeart executed a perfect pass to Foxhoven at the top of the box. As Foxhoven drove to the goal the UCLA keeper came off her line and went down with a scissor kick to block a shot. Foxhoven touched the ball to her left and as she was running by, the keeper reaches out with her right arm and is able to grab Foxhoven's left ankle as she is trying to stride forward. It is a clear trip by the keeper and should have resulted in a penalty kick. I was able to record the game and a good view of the trip can be seen on the replay.

bluffer
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-09-30

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next