Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a message from Queenie

+2
DaTruRochin
Geezaldinho
6 posters

Go down

a message from Queenie Empty a message from Queenie

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:47 pm

This week there was a discussion on BigSoccer about what kinds of players USSoccer should be trying to select for in ODP and on the National team. Lindsey Huie's name came up (of course) as a model of the type of player that should be in the middle there.

She wrote a response thanking her supporters, giving a glimpse of how her life is going, and giving us a tidbit about the UCLA game. Here it is.

Hi folks, I have google alert set to my name and saw it come up a few times on BigSoccer typically I don't look to see what's going on but this time because it popped up so frequently on this site I thought I'd check it out.

Many thanks to Cliveworshipper and UPPRV for all your love and support of my former abilities. You truly have no idea how much that means to me. Three years later it's nice to know there are still people who appreciate real futbol. In my opinion since the late 90's we've moved further and further away from true futbol and have totally Americanized the sport by taking away the razzle dazzle shake and bake and making it a competition of strength, size, and speed. That to me is not futbol, that's merely a wrestling match. And I think we all know wrestling is not my forte. If you want to see real futbol, stand in line at Merlo Field and never sit in your seat, and you will see the magic Clive planted long before we became National Champions.

So to clarify...was I ever really given a chance?! I think it was HALF a chance, I consider it more of a courtesy than a chance. However, it was up to me to make the best of that half chance and to be honest my heart just wasn't in it the way it needed to be to continue to compete at that level. When Clived passed away so did a portion of my fire, spark and passion for the game. I called him endless times while at camp to light my fire just a bit, to rejuvenate my broken spirits and it kept me going. He made me believe that we were on our way towards real futbol, the kind I was recruited for. He told me in his office, "There is no way by the time you graduate here you shouldn't be playing for the WNT..." and I believed in him because he believed in me! I believe if those coaches were lookin for futbol they were lookin in the right place when they invited me in, they just needed to invest a little more time in helping me to catch the change of pace. Even when I came to UP I struggled to adjust with the pace but once I was adjusted I faired pretty well. I think the same would've been true with the WNT but they were all about short term gratification...and unfortunately I am about long term gratification.

Yes, it is true they called me back in Feb but good Lord I hadn't touched a ball since the previous May. I could've kept training and hoping that I would get called back if that was my true goal, but as my article in the Portland Magazine and Oregonian stated the field for me had changed from soccer to career. I really started thinking about what I thought my purpose here was (the search for the unanswerables began) and I felt that my faith and purpose were pushing me toward sharing my gifts in a very different way, helping kids, moms, dad, families. I thought about my desire to get married, have a family, be young and energetic and an inspiration for anyone who ever needed one. I thought about what Clive's saying, "Tomorrow is promised to No one" and I thought heck I ought to start doing something that's really going to help people. Don't get me wrong I think being a positive female athlete/role model is also a blessing, just for me I wanted to have that effect in a bit of a more emotional and more intimate way. Leaving soccer was certainly a tough thing for me but when you ground yourself in just your sport you lose your entire identity when you walk away and that's why all these big time athletes come out of retirement so often, the sport defines them and I don't want to be defined by anything but ME. I want a balanced life.

For me not knowing if you'll be with the team from one month to the next, having to pack up with only two weeks notice for an international trip, being out of the country for weeks at a time, living in hotels (no matter how many stars they do or don't receive) is just not appealing. I like stability, and for many years that's something I haven't had. I've made many sacrifices in my life to compete and now I believe it's time for me to remember all that I gained from those sacrifices and challenge myself in new endeavors.

I am happy to report that I am married (my ceremony for friends and family is in December) and work as a Service Coordinator for the Regional Center of Orange County (helping developmentally delayed kids receive services) and a Marriage and Family Therapy Trainee. My life is BUSY, but it's a busyness that I wouldn't trade because the payoff is priceless. Upon completed my Masters next Spring I will hopefully be a lil less busy with the daily grind and find more time to just unwind!

Thanks again for all the love you have showed! I will be in Portland for the UCLA match Labor Day weekend, broadcasting from the sidelines. They can't push me totally outta the game Smile
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

a message from Queenie Empty Re: a message from Queenie

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:07 pm

I couldn't agree more with her assessment of the National Team's focus... the Americanization of the entire system is very prevalent, and I guess you could say along with that switch, so has the success of US Soccer taken its toll... Bruisers like Shannon Boxx and Abby Wambach are favored over smaller, skillful players like Huie and you could even go to Shannon MacMillan to some extent. I think Pia Sundage will be a positive switch for the team into a more posession based/skill oriented game in the long run... but just look what happens when the size/strenght matches up with the superskilled teams like Brazil; the size and strength flat out get outworked and broken down.

Anyway its good to hear Lindsey is doing well and finding something in life she can show the same passion toward as she used to playing football adorned in purple
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:42 am

Wow... what an awesome letter from Lindsey! Hard to believe it's already been three years since she was wearing the purple. Sounds like she is doing well, and it's great to hear she'll be at Merlo for the UCLA game. And despite her modesty, something tells me she could still go out there onto the pitch and show all the Pilots and Bruins out there a thing or two. Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:03 pm

No need to reiterate what you and Lindsay have said, suffice to say I agree completely. The WNT already has Tobin Heath on the squad who in my opinion is the US Marta. Add Angie and Tina Dimartino and Casey Noguerai in the future and I think we could have some real sizzle. The bruiser teams would have no one to lean on because they would never get close enough to the player or the ball. Lets hope
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:21 am

Auto Pilot wrote:No need to reiterate what you and Lindsay have said, suffice to say I agree completely. The WNT already has Tobin Heath on the squad who in my opinion is the US Marta. Add Angie and Tina Dimartino and Casey Noguerai in the future and I think we could have some real sizzle. The bruiser teams would have no one to lean on because they would never get close enough to the player or the ball. Lets hope

With regard to heath, I don't share your enthusiasm right now. She has some flashy moves, but at least in the last two Olympic games, she's made some dangerous plays that the top tier teams could capitalize on.

Her game is pretty immature right now.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:07 pm

I think that is good point about immature and of course its flip side "mature" as in I am 30 with two kids and I have spent my WNT career playing direct soccer. Former WNT coach Greg Ryan, from whom Pia inherited most of her players, was of the philosophy that trying to play possession soccer in the modern game would get you "killed".

I think there are still some players on the team that are prone to fall back into that mindset (ie the Norway game) when things aren't going well. So I guess I would be willing to take some mistakes from a younger more technical player, than older players who play it safe by clearing the ball down the field every possession lest they be forced to withstand pressure on the ball and connect passes on the ground.

Having said that I will concede the U.S second goal against Canada was artfully crafted. I hope to see more of that as I believe that is the kind of play US fans want ...well at least what this fan wants.
Peace
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:28 pm

Welcome to this great forum, Auto Pilot! Here, we all do love our Pilots!!! a message from Queenie Happy-127

I'm looking forward to your future posts on the team and futbol in general. I'm sure you'll contribute a great deal to this board.

Take care.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:45 pm

Thanks for the welcome. You guys are serious as a heart attack but I can still feel the love. I know the team will be awesome again this year. Anxious to see what develops in the back. I know we will be killer up front and in the mid.

After listening to Garrett's podcast and his comment about the whole team playing with a defensive mindset I think he wants the rest of the team to help out with D. Forwards are expected to score but when they play pressure defense up top good things happen.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:56 pm

I'm going to take a selfish moment here and THANK Lindsey for giving the UP PILOTS her best soccer...and not the WNT! Think about it, we're soooo lucky to have seen her...give her all....mostly right here at Merlo!!!

It was wonderful futbol Lindsey......thanks for making the "beautiful game"...even more beautiful! I'm glad to have had a chance to watch you play!

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:53 am

Auto Pilot wrote:

After listening to Garrett's podcast and his comment about the whole team playing with a defensive mindset I think he wants the rest of the team to help out with D. Forwards are expected to score but when they play pressure defense up top good things happen.

That is an interesting statement by Garrett. We have the potential to be a tremendously dangerous team attacking the goal this season, I believe. But the defense is always the backbone to any great team. From what I have heard, after the 8/16 intrasquad scrimmage for season ticket-holders, it sounds like our outside backs, Tsao and Sweeney, are on their way to becoming the next Kristen and Kristen. (For newer fans, that's Kristen Moore and Kristen Rogers, the great outside backs on our 2005 national championship team.)

We know our holding (defensive) midfielder, Keelin Winters, is one of the best up-and-coming players at her position in the country. At center back, we don't have very much "game" experience, but the talent level and depth of talent, is excellent. By the 5th or 6th match of the season I would think we would have a starting duo pretty much in place, if not sooner, and possibly a strong rotation of three or maybe even four central denfenders.

We're talking defense here, so the five up-front starters and their replacements MUST really concentrate on playing the big "D" as well as attacking and scoring goals. With eleven defenders on the pitch, I think this team sounds like, (I haven't seen them with my own eyes yet), they should have a great shot at making this year's College Cup Semi-Finals in December.

One last thought: I never gave it much thought until last spring, but at a srimmage last April, Elli Reed and Michelle Enyeart were absolute defensive monsters. I sat in the front row of the student section, and was amazed at how much energy they were putting out as they pressured the other team relentlessly, all over the field. The opposition had a difficult time dealing with this pressure, and it gave me added respect for both players.

Now if ALL our attacking players played with the same intensity, I'm not sure anyone would want to play us! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down